Saturday, February 18, 2012

Tool #9

This tool talks about how to utilize the new technology coming into the classrooms. Although my classroom will not receive any new technology, I did find Thinkfinity very interesting--and--I can use Thinkfinity through the computers in my lab.

One of the courses that I teach is Global Business. There is a large component of Economics taught in that course. Thinkfinity includes interactive lessons/tutorials on Economics. I'd like to incorporate these tutorials in my lesson plans for next school year (I do not have a section of Global Business this spring). In addition, I can utilize the SBISD Interactive Database to find other web-based tools. Currently, I use Go2Web20 to find and incorporate a variety of Web2.0 tools in my curriculum.

Here are the questions that I am to answer for this tool:

Why do you think it is important to tie the technology to the objective? There's needs to be a relevant connection between the lesson/project objective and the technology that I want the students to use--the why behind the what, if you will.

    Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers? Students need to take responsibility for their actions. I have strict policies in my lab that hold students accountable for taking care of the equipment and for digital citizenship. It's imperative for students to learn that there are consequences for actions. By holding them accountable for the equipment, I can facilitate their learning.
      Visit 2 of the applicable links to interactive websites for your content/grade level. Which sites did you like. How could you use them as stations? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations? Since I have a one-to-one environment in my lab, I won't necessarily need to incorporate stations. With that said, I do have time limits scheduled for all web assignments. I overview entire projects and then chunk it into daily requirements. This 'chunking' helps to teach time management skills to students. I have learned through trial and error that students need to be responsible for daily 'chunks.' This helps keep them focused and on task--especially during longer, more complicated projects.
        List two to three apps you found for the iPod Touch/iPad that you can use in your classroom. What do you see that station looking like? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations? This will not apply to my classroom.
          What about other ways to use the iPod Touch/iPad? Share another way you can see your students using the device as a station. This will not apply to my classroom.

          No comments:

          Post a Comment